Debt Recovery Process | Legal Debt Recovery
Once you have exhausted all communication and negotiation channels and techniques and if you are not satisfied with the outcome or and you have still not recovered your debt, then it may be time to move to the next stage of the debt recovery process and issue legal proceedings against your debtor.
Step 3 – Debt Recovery Legal Action
Where will proceedings be issued?
This depends on the amount of the debt:
- amounts up to €15,000 are issued in the District Court
- amounts between €15,001 and €75,000 are issued in the Circuit Court
- amounts over €75,000 are issued in the High Court.
You may instruct Carlisle Solicitors, to draft, issue and serve proceedings to your debtor on your behalf for the collection of the debt. Once legal proceedings have been issued, the debtor will have a specified time frame to pay the debt or defend the claim made against him.
What happens next?
There are three possible outcomes to this stage of the debt recovery process:
1. Debtor pays the debt: At this point, you will have reached a successful conclusion and collected your debt without the need of going to Court.
1. Debtor takes no action: In this case, you can proceed to take up a Judgment against the debtor without the necessity of going to Court.
3. Debtor defends the claim: In this scenario, Carlisle Solicitors will immediately contact you and together we will discuss the next steps available to you in the debt recovery process, dependent on the court in which your proceedings have issued, i.e. District Court, Circuit Court or High Court.